General thoughts:
1) The declaration seems largely focused at the large government level. This may be in part because of the nature of Rio sending delegations from different countries, but I think that we may want to state more strongly the need for subnational and regional, indigenous, or local initiatives. One challenge that comes along with this is the integration of policy and programs at multi-level scales.
2) One major contradiction I see in the statement is the idea that we need to include business in the discussion but that we also need to move away from income and GDP as a driver of well-being. This is a sticky topic, but inevitably if we are promoting a vision that moves away from GDP and money driven economic measures, then we are moving away from a capitalist business model. I'm not entirely sure how to reconcile these thoughts, but at the moment I feel that the draft at best tries to just ignore this seeming elephant in the room.
3) I would like to see a greater focus on non-science knowledge. I feel that currently the draft is written so that new knowledge is knowledge largely contributed through science, which fails to consider place-based contexts and knowledge of individuals, institutions, indigenous communities, artists, and others outside of science that can contribute hugely to sustainability initiatives.
4) A stronger focus on the role of the individual and consumption is needed. Something useful as a suggestion for framing this is writing it from our personal perspective, that as scientists we realize we can contribute to the broader solutions facing our nation through research, technology, policy, etc. but that as individuals we also all play a notable role in sustainability.
5) I would like to see more language about behavior change and the recognition that this is a key component of this challenge.
A few good things to highlight- recognition of the need to work interdisciplinarily, and to forge a new way forward for science funding and research that works across scales, disciplines and government boundaries. And obviously, we should thank them for the opportunity to respond.
No comments:
Post a Comment